This position is responsible for testing appropriate biological samples for MTB and Rif resistance detection using the Gene Xpert machine and to ensure management and timely maintenance of the machine. The technician must also ensure accurate reporting and maintenance of testing data.
TASKS & ACCOUNTABILITIES:
• Responsible for handling, storage, preparation and running sputum and other appropriate samples for Gene Xpert testing for the dectection of DS-TB as well as DR-TB.
• Check the sample quality prior to testing.
• Ensure appropriate infection control protocols are followed during sample handling, preparation and testing procedures.
• Ensure that the SOPs for sample testing are followed accurately.
• Maintain an accurate and updated log of the testing data.
• Provide daily feedback of the testing data to the Supervisor.
• Clean and maintain the Gene Xpert machine on a daily, weekly and monthly basis based on the assigned protocols provided.
• Provide access to testing report where required to the relevant patient, referring physician and/or screener.
• Use Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) provided in the lab.
• Maintain the lab supplies register.
• Liaise with the site supervisor, screeners, senior site managers and hospital staff.