The nurse will act as a screener who will be based six days a week at the site assigned to them. The nurse will also provide social support to the patient and family throughout the treatment as well as follow up patients to ensure treatment adherence.
TASKS & ACCOUNTABILITIES:
• Use the verbal screening tool to identify symptoms and refer paediatric TB presumptives to the medical officer.
• Follow up of all paediatric TB patients on treatment as well as provide assistance to patients regarding their test orders and test results through phone calls.
• Encourage household contacts to be screened for TB (Paediatric and adult) at the hospital site and refer adult contacts to the FAST screeners.
• Monthly follow up of all children under 5 on Iosoniazid Preventive Therapy (IPT).
• Provide social support to TB patients and their care givers.
• Dispensing and keeping inventory of medication and nutritional supplements prescribed by the medical officer.
• In case an external facility is used for presumptive childhood TB patient diagnosis, ensure patient is referred to the nearest X-ray/CT scan/lab facility for their tests.
• Maintain a log of patient vouchers and inform once a month the total amount to be reimbursed to the hospital/X-ray/CT scan/lab facility.
• Maintain a register(s) for data entry of patient history, screening, tests ordered, test results, treatment, follow up phone call dates etc.
• Working in coordination with the public/private hospital paediatric OPD ward assigned to the nurse.
• Maintain a working relationship with the medical officer.
• Assisting the medical officer with any other tasks.